Reciprocity is the idea that people are more likely to give back to others when they have given or received from them. If someone does you a favor, you feel as if you owe them a favor back. People are more likely to say yes to those that they owe. When what you give is given first and personalized and unexpected, it means more to people than if it was not.
People want more of what they want, when what they want is scarce. If you are trying to persuade someone it is important to talk not only about the benefits of what you are offering, but why it is unique, and what they will lose if they do not consider what you are proposing.
The principle of authority is the idea that people will follow the lead of credible, knowledgable experts. It is important to signal to others what makes you a credible, knowledgable authority before you attempt to influence them.
People like to be consistent with things they have said or done. Consistency is activated by looking and asking for small commitments at the beginning that are easy to make. Small commitments lead to bigger commitments.
People prefer to say yes to people that they like, and there are three factors that make people like someone.
1. We like people who are similar to us
2. We like people who give us compliments
3. We like people who cooperate with us towards mutual goals
Consensus is the idea that people will look to the actions of others to determine their own. We want to do what other people are doing, especially similar others.
Ethos, logos, and pathos are methods of persuasion used to convince audiences. Aristotle created these terms and they are also known as the three artistic proofs. Ethos is convincing the audience based on the credibility of the persuader. Logos is persuading the audience with logic including facts and figures. Pathos is convincing an audience by creating an emotional response.
I think typical bloggers use the principles of liking and authority the most. I think a close third would be consistency. I think bloggers using liking and authority with their readers when trying to sell a product for ad revenue, or when opening up their own small business. The concept of "liking" I know from experience is used a lot by bloggers because when one specific blogger I know named Domino opened up her online t-shirt shop, I instantly purchased the shirts I saw her wearing because I already appreciated the way she dressed and I wanted to be more like her. She knew that by wearing the things she made more people would want to buy them because she was aware of how many young girls at the time looked to her for style inspiration. The principle of authority is really similar to principle of liking. People are more likely to want to purchase something a blogger is advertising or promoting when that person normally blogs about that type of content, like a food blogger advertising a new ADORABLE bamboo cutting board with matching blah blah blah.
I think bloggers might tend to typically use pathos. At least with my experience with blogs, I do not read many blogs that tend to use statistics or factual information for many reasons and I feel like I would be more likely to be persuaded by someone that I already admire in someway if they were to tell me a meaningful story or situation, however, factual information and stats would definitely not hurt if it was something that needed to be proven in that way.
I think typical essayists have to use the principle of authority the most. Typical essays are often times more literarily correct and people want to read essays from those who have the knowledge and credibility to be teaching them about the topic they are reading about. In this case, typical essayists would use ethos more.
People want more of what they want, when what they want is scarce. If you are trying to persuade someone it is important to talk not only about the benefits of what you are offering, but why it is unique, and what they will lose if they do not consider what you are proposing.
The principle of authority is the idea that people will follow the lead of credible, knowledgable experts. It is important to signal to others what makes you a credible, knowledgable authority before you attempt to influence them.
People like to be consistent with things they have said or done. Consistency is activated by looking and asking for small commitments at the beginning that are easy to make. Small commitments lead to bigger commitments.
People prefer to say yes to people that they like, and there are three factors that make people like someone.
1. We like people who are similar to us
2. We like people who give us compliments
3. We like people who cooperate with us towards mutual goals
Consensus is the idea that people will look to the actions of others to determine their own. We want to do what other people are doing, especially similar others.
Ethos, logos, and pathos are methods of persuasion used to convince audiences. Aristotle created these terms and they are also known as the three artistic proofs. Ethos is convincing the audience based on the credibility of the persuader. Logos is persuading the audience with logic including facts and figures. Pathos is convincing an audience by creating an emotional response.
I think typical bloggers use the principles of liking and authority the most. I think a close third would be consistency. I think bloggers using liking and authority with their readers when trying to sell a product for ad revenue, or when opening up their own small business. The concept of "liking" I know from experience is used a lot by bloggers because when one specific blogger I know named Domino opened up her online t-shirt shop, I instantly purchased the shirts I saw her wearing because I already appreciated the way she dressed and I wanted to be more like her. She knew that by wearing the things she made more people would want to buy them because she was aware of how many young girls at the time looked to her for style inspiration. The principle of authority is really similar to principle of liking. People are more likely to want to purchase something a blogger is advertising or promoting when that person normally blogs about that type of content, like a food blogger advertising a new ADORABLE bamboo cutting board with matching blah blah blah.
I think bloggers might tend to typically use pathos. At least with my experience with blogs, I do not read many blogs that tend to use statistics or factual information for many reasons and I feel like I would be more likely to be persuaded by someone that I already admire in someway if they were to tell me a meaningful story or situation, however, factual information and stats would definitely not hurt if it was something that needed to be proven in that way.
I think typical essayists have to use the principle of authority the most. Typical essays are often times more literarily correct and people want to read essays from those who have the knowledge and credibility to be teaching them about the topic they are reading about. In this case, typical essayists would use ethos more.
Comments
Post a Comment