Week 3: January 24th

JANUARY 24th 

TO DO                                                                               QUOTE OF THE DAY
class @ 1                                                                          let yourself be silently drawn by the strange
grocery shopping                                                              pull of what you really love.  it will not lead
bank???                                                                            you astray.                                          -Rumi


I need to write this or it won't stick in my brain the way I want it to.  I was driving home from school today and I had to get over into the left lane to make a u-turn and the truck behind me honked and honked and honked like I cut him off or something, but in my mind I had my blinker on and had more than enough space and time to make my lane change.  He was so mad that sped around me, just to stop at the same red light a few seconds later.

I know I am so privileged, and lucky, but I cannot help but feel sad over the state of our society.  Maybe it is just the area I live in, maybe it is just my upbringing, but my world that I exist in every single day is (I hate to say it) but so grey and gloomy and I KNOW it is winter so what do I expect... But I am kind of referring to the people.

Anyone who reads this would probably roll their eyes at me, but the world could be such a better place if people took a step back and looked at the world through a different lens.  I know that sounds weird but there are so many situations I can think of where if someone didn't act on their impulses, and were intentional about the words they said and the things they did, something better would have happened than what actually did, and the feelings the people involved felt would have been GOOD not gross and filled with guilt.

I wholeheartedly believe in the idea that the universe is in control.  Putting my faith into the universe, and admitting that the control is out of my hands, has and is currently taking a lot of the weight off my shoulders.  I am very intentional with the things I do.  I do not make a decision just to make it.  It starts off with setting my alarm for every morning.  I don't just set my alarm for an hour before work because it will probably be enough time to get ready and drive to work.  I actually think ahead of time what I need to get done in the morning, and how long it will take to get to work, and then set my alarm. The worst feeling to me is having to rush to scrape the ice off my windshield because I am going to be late to work... class... an appointment... and then I have to drive with a half ice filled windshield.  Eliminate the stress and gross feelings you are in control of (rushing, procrastinating, actually wash your face every night to avoid waking up with a pimple), and the universe will take control of everything else.

Along with being more intentional, I think our world could use a little more kindness.  So much of our country is currently filled with so much anger, hatred, and competition.  We live in a time where we actually see people of different "races" being yelled at in public to "go back to where they came from."  How is that not something we ONLY read out of a history textbook?! That makes me so upset I could cry.  All politics aside (I hate politics), we live in this world together.  We all breath the same air, we all care for our family and our friends, we all want to be able to live happy and healthy lives.

I understand though that not everyone believes the alignment of the stars has any meaning.  And it really does frustrate me sometimes that as much as you explain to someone something, they sometimes will not believe you, will not trust you, and will not listen.  All I want is for the world to be a better place, man.  But at the same time, it also excites me.  It gives me a sense of purpose knowing that even though someone will think I am crazy for explaining to them why the word "namaste" is so important while cashing them out at work, I am doing what I can to make a difference, to make the world as tolerable as I can.

We are so much bigger than the nitty gritty of our society.  We have so much more in us than the feelings we feel that are caused by our society.  We are capable of so much more than we allow ourselves to believe.

I just have to remind myself that all I can do is my best.  I can share the knowledge I have, I can treat people with respect and kindness (even when it is hard), and that, really, is all I can do.  It is something I will have to keep working on every day.  I have to remind myself to breath.  I LOVE BREATHING.  When I find myself in a mood where I am angry, frustrated, or confused, I take a step back.  I remind myself where I am in space and time, I breath in 4 counts and exhale 8.  I love it.  It is so grounding.  I feel so lucky to know what I know and to have the entire world at my finger tips.  I (we) (the world) are capable of so much and I feel so hopeful!!

Namaste,
Josie



Comments