I have been through A LOT in life, just like everyone else. I procrastinate a lot of things and I have a growing notes tab in my phone called "someday maybe" where I bullet point things I want to get done...when I have the time. On the first day of 2019, an inspirational speaker named Joshua Millburn shared this tiny but powerful quote on social media, "Day one. Or one day. You decided." For me, I say " I will do this when I..." or "I will start this after..." about a lot of things in life whether it be in regards to homework, eating better, working out, or reading more, and I know I am not the only one. Obviously, these things are important to us otherwise we wouldn't even remember that we WANT to do them. This quote reminds me that I am the only person who can control how I spend my time. I am in control of way more than I allow myself to believe most of the time.
Why is this important?
I was disappointed that the author of "Goody Two Shoes" said "Don't just put in your time. That is not enough. You have to make great effort. Be willing to put your whole life on the line when you sit down for writing practice." I feel like describing effort and motivation in this way could be harmful to the way some people view progress.
I had been wanting to start yoga for two years before I actually signed up for classes. TWO ENTIRE YEARS of watching instagram videos of people DOING the yoga, while I was SITTING in the bed. If I was to apply the idea of "don't just put your time in... be willing to put your life on the line" to me starting yoga, I do not think I would have ever set foot in that studio. My life definitely does not depend on my yoga practice but I know that it does greatly enhance my quality of life. If I had to show up to yoga with more than my head and the rest of my body I wonder if I would have even continued going.
Showing up IS GOOD ENOUGH! If you want to start writing (or literally any other habit ever) having the goal of writing everyday whether it be a sentence or five pages is a brilliant idea in my book (no pun intended.) If you say "okay tomorrow I am going to wake up, make my coffee, and sit at my writing desk before work" and that's it.... then so be it! It's a process. Eventually you will wake up, make your coffee, write while your coffee is brewing, write while you're drinking your coffee, and then (maybe) finish what you were writing after you get to work. Everything in life is a process. You got this!
Why is this important?
I was disappointed that the author of "Goody Two Shoes" said "Don't just put in your time. That is not enough. You have to make great effort. Be willing to put your whole life on the line when you sit down for writing practice." I feel like describing effort and motivation in this way could be harmful to the way some people view progress.
I had been wanting to start yoga for two years before I actually signed up for classes. TWO ENTIRE YEARS of watching instagram videos of people DOING the yoga, while I was SITTING in the bed. If I was to apply the idea of "don't just put your time in... be willing to put your life on the line" to me starting yoga, I do not think I would have ever set foot in that studio. My life definitely does not depend on my yoga practice but I know that it does greatly enhance my quality of life. If I had to show up to yoga with more than my head and the rest of my body I wonder if I would have even continued going.
Showing up IS GOOD ENOUGH! If you want to start writing (or literally any other habit ever) having the goal of writing everyday whether it be a sentence or five pages is a brilliant idea in my book (no pun intended.) If you say "okay tomorrow I am going to wake up, make my coffee, and sit at my writing desk before work" and that's it.... then so be it! It's a process. Eventually you will wake up, make your coffee, write while your coffee is brewing, write while you're drinking your coffee, and then (maybe) finish what you were writing after you get to work. Everything in life is a process. You got this!
Comments
Post a Comment